Unfortunately, that's a true statement: Many investors are just now starting to take seriously the possibility of a downgrade on the federal government's credit rating.
But I'd be willing to wager that this group of newly panicking investors includes very few Money Morning readers. After all, we've been warning you about this fallout for quite some time.
Not only that, we've been detailing moves investors can make to defend themselves - and in some cases, even profit.
If you haven't read them already - or feel a refresher read is in order - we suggest you take a look at:
- Safe-Haven Currencies: If You Want to Flee the U.S. Dollar, Here Are Four Places to Hide: This headline of this story by Money Morning columnist and former global merchant banker Martin Hutchinson really says it all.
- A Sovereign-Debt-Default Survival Kit: The Four Countries That Will Keep Their AAA Ratings: The United States may not keep its top-tier AAA credit rating, but a number of other countries will. Hutchinson outlines the four best to look at.
- The No. 1 Way to Profit as the Price of Gold Soars Into Record Territory: When gold crossed the $1,600-an-ounce threshold for the first time earlier this month, our natural-resources guru Peter Krauth told you that the price was going to keep going. He was right. Even if this mess in Washington gets resolved, there's so much inflation already built into this system that gold is certain to be a long-term winner.
- Why China's New Futures Market is Bullish for Long-Term Silver Prices: Money Morning readers who followed our original silver call back in September did very well. After a spring setback, the debt-ceiling debacle is serving as a near-term catalyst for silver prices. Long-term, the outlook is even more bullish - especially because of a potential new catalyst that Money Morning Chief Investment Strategist Keith Fitz-Gerald details in this report.
- Brace for the Worst as Debt Ceiling Crisis Deadline Nears: If you want a preview of what how things could play out and tips on preserving your personal wealth, check out this report by Money Morning Associate Editor David Zeiler.
- Team Bernanke's QE17: A Glimpse of America in 2015: Washington has created one hell of a mess for Main Street Americans. In this report, Hutchinson does a little crystal-ball gazing and paints a picture of what our economy could look like just four short years from now.
- The Next Global Credit Crisis: Why U.S. Banks and Greek Debt Will be the Toxic Trigger: As one columnist shrewdly this week, the debt-ceiling debacle in Washington has made us forget all about the Greek/European debt crisis. Don't make that mistake. The early week deal to bail out Greece is just the latest in a long line of agreements that have proved to be little more than band-aids. And as credit-crisis-expert Shah Gilani shows us in this report, there's a nasty surprise or two that still could head our way from Europe.
- Don't Get Suckered by Wall Street's Wimpy Gold Price Forecasts: Back in June Money Morning warned investors not to get scared our of their gold holdings. And now the yellow metal is traversing new record highs above $1,600 an ounce.
You can get this market intelligence delivered to you monthly with our affiliate, the The Money Map Report. Please click here to learn more about our latest offer.]