Martin Luther King Jr., would be 84 years old this week. In honor of the holiday, here's a selection of some of his most famous quotes.
Great words spoken by a great man...
- "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
- "History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."
- "A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan."
- I say to you that our goal is freedom, and I believe we are going to get there because however much she strays away from it, the goal of America is freedom.
- Cowardice asks the question, "Is it safe?" Expediency asks the question, "Is it politic?" And Vanity comes along and asks the question, "Is it popular?" But Conscience asks the question "Is it right?" And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right.
- "Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
- "Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
martin luther king jr quotes