Today, we've rounded up the 10 top penny stocks of 2017 so far. Here are the companies, stock prices, and year-to-date returns for each:
- Pulmatrix Inc. (Nasdaq: PULM); $4.26; 628% YTD
- MYOS RENS Technology Inc. (Nasdaq: MYOS); $4.30; 237.3% YTD
- Zosano Pharma Corp. (Nasdaq: ZSAN); $2.50; 224.5% YTD
- Orexigen Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq: OREX); $4.71; 170.7% YTD
- Biocept Inc. (Nasdaq: BIOC); $2.09; 166.9% YTD
- Naked Brand Group Inc. (Nasdaq: NAKD); $2.58; 158% YTD
- ZAIS Group Holdings Inc. (Nasdaq: ZAIS); $3.76; 156.5% YTD
- Adesto Technologies Corp. (Nasdaq: IOTS); $4.65; 151.4% YTD
- Transgenomic Inc. (Nasdaq: TBIO); $0.69; 8% YTD
- Pingtan Marine Enterprise Ltd. (Nasdaq: PME); $4.03; 131.5% YTD
Remember, this "best penny stocks of 2017" list is just a tracking metric. We don't recommend investing in any of these top 10 penny stocks without the proper amount of research into each company's financials.
Penny stock investing can be incredibly risky, so it's important to know everything about a company before putting your hard-earned money into it.
Fortunately, Money Morning Chief Research Analyst Sid Riggs has done all the legwork for you. That's why he just recommended one of the best small-cap stocks to buy right now. While most penny stocks are attractive for their short-term gains, this small-cap company is poised to offer big long-term returns in 2017.
And there's plenty to love about this company:
- The stock is up 27% so far this year - smashing the Dow Jones Industrial Average's 4.1% gain over the same period.
- The firm's products are used in several diverse industries, including defense and digital media.
- The company recently beat Q4 analyst expectations by a whopping 86%.
Here's one of the best stocks to buy in 2017...
Buy This Small-Cap Stock for a Big Return in 2017
[mmpazkzone name="end-story-hostage" network="9794" site="307044" id="138536" type="4"]
One of Riggs' favorite small-cap stocks right now is semiconductor firm Intevac Inc. (Nasdaq: IVAC).
The IVAC stock price has gained 27% to $10.86 a share in 2017. Although its share price is above the $5 penny stock qualification, Intevac's strong presence in several huge markets makes it worth the five extra dollars.
You see, Intevac designs and sells sensor technology used in thin-film devices. These devices are employed in many different industries, such as solar, defense, and digital media. The company's sensors can be found in rooftop solar panels. They can also be found in night-vision technology used by the military.
Riggs believes Intevac stock will keep rising in 2017 because it's tapped into those booming markets. For example, the subsectors of the defense industry are expected to grow 3.2% in 2017, according to Deloitte. And GTM Research projects 410 megawatts of community solar will be installed by the end of the year. That would be an 88.1% increase from 218 megawatts in 2016.
Unlike other small-cap companies, Intevac has consistently proven its financial health. It surprised analysts in its Q4 earnings report when it reported $0.13 per share on $29 million in revenue. That beat three Zacks analysts' expectation of $0.07. Even more important is that Q4 2016 was Intevac's first profitable quarter ever. That means the company has finally developed a business model that should keep churning out profits over the long term.
With strong earnings and a dominant position in several growing industries, Intevac is an expensive small-cap stock for good reasons. This is one of the best stocks to buy right now.
Marijuana Investing: What You Need to Know... The legal marijuana market is going ballistic. Right now marijuana stocks are on fire, with peak gains quadrupling in value. And these are mostly small companies trading for under $10. Click here to learn more...