Start the conversation
The Dow Jones Industrial Average projected an 91-point gain this morning despite U.S. President Donald Trump considering imposing new tariffs on China.
Here are the pre-market numbers for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Pre-Market Trading||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now here's a closer look at today's most important market events and stocks, plus Monday's economic calendar.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Monday
- President Donald Trump said this weekend that the administration is finalizing plans to slap new tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods. The trade tensions come at a difficult time, as the United States and Canada have still not finalized a plan to revitalize the NAFTA agreement. President Trump also told reporters that the United States and Japan have started talks around trade.
- On Friday, the Labor Department announced that the U.S. economy added 201,000 new jobs in August. That figure beat market expectations.
- Finally, this week will mark the 10-year anniversary of the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy. On Sept. 15, 2008, one of Wall Street's largest banks filed for bankruptcy after financial leaders failed to secure a buyer for the embattled firm.
Money Morning Insight of the Day
If you're reading this… you might already be rich. The question, of course, is how can you stay rich and build life-changing wealth.
Prospering During a Financial Crisis: Incredible wealth-building opportunity for those who are prepared – quickly amass a potential $1.5 million retirement nest egg. Learn more…
The answer is simple. You stop listening to the talking heads in the press, and you start buying rock-solid companies that will provide strong income and help you protect your nest egg.
Money Morning Special Situation Strategist Tim Melvin provides his latest list of stocks that will help you get rich… and stay rich. Check them out right here.
Three Stocks to Watch Today: BABA, TSLA, CBS
- Shares of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. (NYSE: BABA) fell 1.2% after founder and Chair Jack Ma announced he will be stepping down next year. Ma said that the demands of the chair role required tireless "ability and energy." The firm said that CEO Daniel Zhang will assume the position in 12 months.
- Tesla Inc. (Nasdaq: TSLA) shares added more than 3% this morning despite the recent departure of senior level executives Dave Morton and Gaby Toledano. The company has seen 41 executives depart the firm this year, but little explanation has been provided for the mass exodus.
- CBS Corp. (NYSE: CBS) stock will be in focus after news broke that CEO Leslie Moonves will be stepping down. The media executive has faced multiple allegations of sexual misconduct. The firm said that acting COO Joseph Ianniello could fill the CEO role until the board of directors finds a "permanent successor."
- Look for earnings reports from Casey's General Stores Inc. (Nasdaq: CASY), National Beverage Corp. (Nasdaq: FIZZ), Limoniera Co. (Nasdaq: LMNR), and Matrix Service Co. (Nasdaq: MTRX).
Quickly Amass a Potential $1.5 Million Retirement Nest Egg: Pension plans are already defaulting left and right, and now promises made to retirees are being shattered. But it's not too late to tap into this financial defense strategy – as long as you arm yourself soon.
About the Author
Garrett Baldwin is a globally recognized research economist, financial writer, and consultant with degrees from Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Purdue, and Indiana University. He is a seasoned financial and political risk analyst, with a focus on stocks, hedge funds, private equity, blockchain, and housing policy. He has conducted risk assessment projects for clients in 27 countries, and consulted on policy and financial operations for some of the nation's largest financial institutions, including a $1.5 trillion credit fund, a $43 billion credit and auto loan giant, as well as two of the largest Wall Street banks by assets under management.
Garrett joined Money Map Press as an economist and researcher in 2011, specializing in alternative strategies with an emphasis on fundamental and technical analysis.