Start the conversation
Expect a shaky Dow Jones today as we draw closer to what investors predict will be the worst earnings season since 2016.
President Trump is also threatening to slam the EU with billions in new tariffs. More on this and how it affects the DJIA below.
Plus, other factors affecting the Dow today: Apple gets a hefty price target, and Bank of America raises its minimum wage.
Here are the numbers from Monday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now, here's a closer look at today's Money Morning insight, the most important market events, and stocks to watch.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Tuesday
- Today, investors will keep a close eye on developments out of the White House. The Trump administration has threatened to slap $11 billion in tariffs on the world's largest economic trade bloc, a move that could heighten trade tensions at a time when the United States is trying to strike a deal with China. The move is reportedly tied to the EU's ongoing efforts to allegedly offer subsidies to European airline manufacturer Airbus SE (OTCMKTS: EADSF). Products that face tariffs include wine, fish, and cheese.
- In deal news, Wynn Resorts Ltd. (NASDAQ: WYNN) is picking up its latest acquisition target. CNN reports the firm has offered Crown Resorts a whopping $7.1 billion in a takeover deal. If you're looking to make big money in the U.S. and international gambling space, be sure to check our best three stocks in the sector, right here.
- Keep a close eye on Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL). This morning, the tech giant will look to extend its incredible 10-day winning streak. The stock just received a price target upgrade from Wedbush, from $215 to $225 per share. But if you've been following us, you'd know that $225 is our long-term outlook for one of the world's top companies.
Stocks to Watch Today: LNN, BAC, BA
- Earnings season kicks into full swing later this week. But investors should keep an eye out for a round of different firms that will be reporting earnings. At the head of the table today is Lindsay Corp. (NYSE: LNN). The firm reported a 21% drop in year-over-year revenue. The firm blamed the decline on divestitures in its irrigation segment.
- Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC) announced plans to raise its minimum wage to $20. The bank plans to hike its minimum wage from $17 on May 1 and do so in two increments over the next two years. The decision comes a year ahead of a critical presidential election that will see a wide debate over minimum wage, universal basic income, and living wages.
- Keep a close eye on Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA). The firm will announce the number of planes it plans to deliver during the first quarter on Tuesday. The number is critical to analysts who have watched the company fail to deliver any 737 Max planes over the last two weeks. The firm halted deliveries of the aircraft after two crashes involving the same model occurred in the last six months.
- Look for earnings reports from Shaw Communications Inc. (NYSE: SJR), PriceSmart Inc. (NASDAQ: PSMT), WD-40 Co. (NASDAQ: WDFC).
This Is How You Can Grow Incredibly Rich Buying Straight-Up Stocks
Right now, even with all the market uncertainty, there's truly a ridiculous amount of money to be made from stocks if you follow this secret.
We're talking about gains like 663%… 628%… even 818%.
This method is unique in the entire history of investing – and for a limited time, you can learn how to use it for yourself and have an opportunity to hit as many peak gains as possible right away.