Start the conversation
The Dow Jones today will gain more than 100 points after the United States and Mexico announced a deal to avoid new 5% tariffs. Find out how the markets responded below.
Plus: More big news just gave one of our best tech stocks a 30% bump.
Here are the numbers from Friday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now, here's a closer look at today's Money Morning insight, the most important market events, and stocks to watch.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Monday
- The White House threatened China with more tariffs over the weekend. "If China wants to move forward with the deal, we're prepared to move forward on the terms we've done," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in an interview with CNBC. "If China doesn't want to move forward, then President Trump is perfectly happy to move forward with tariffs to re-balance the relationship." Semiconductor stocks moved higher on hopes that both sides would reach a deal. But here's the tech industry's biggest catalyst.
- But U.S. President Donald Trump and the Federal Reserve have pushed U.S. markets higher in recent days. While markets anticipate that the Fed will cut rates to support the U.S. economy, Trump announced over the weekend that the United States and Mexico have reached an agreement to curb illegal immigration across the southern border. Mexico said over the weekend that it will deploy roughly 6,000 members of the national guard to its border with Guatemala.
- Crude oil prices continued to tick higher, thanks to rumors that OPEC will extend a deal to curb excessive production. Saudi Arabia's energy leaders said on Friday that the world's largest oil cartel will likely extend this deal in the wake of crude's sharp price decline in recent weeks.
Stocks to Watch Today: GM, F, CRM, DATA, UTX, RTN
- Shares of General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) and Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F) gained more than 1.4% this morning after President Trump announced the deal to prevent tariffs. The two automotive giants have a large manufacturing presence in Mexico and stood to face a sharp increase in levies had the tariffs gone into effect.
- In deal news, Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM) announced plans to purchase Tableau Software (NYSE: DATA) in a deal worth $15.7 billion. Shares of DATA stock popped more than 34% on the news.
- Speaking of deals, one of the largest deals in defense history is on the verge of happening. United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX) and Raytheon Co. (NYSE: RTN) have agreed to merge, which would create a massive aerospace and defense giant. The two companies are looking to engage in an all-stock deal. The two firms have a combined market capitalization of more than $165 billion.
- Look for earnings reports from Thor Industries Inc. (NYSE: THO), Casey's General Stores Inc. (NASDAQ: CASY), and Ascena Retail Group INc. (NASDAQ: ASNA).
Brace Yourself: The 5G Revolution Is Unleashing Your Next TRILLION-DOLLAR Opportunity
In my three decades tracking the world's biggest technological breakthroughs, I've never seen anything as huge as this.
This $6 company could be set to DOMINATE a $12 TRILLION market - and when that happens, you could be celebrating with 10 times your money.
Here Are 10 “One-Click” Ways to Earn 10% or Better on Your Money Every Quarter
Appreciation is great, but it’s possible to get even more out of the shares you own. A lot more: you can easily beat inflation and collect regular income to spare. There are no complicated trades to put on, no high-level options clearances necessary. In fact, you can do this with a couple of mouse clicks – passive income redefined. Click here for the report…