Start the conversation
The Dow Jones today will rise as markets fully anticipate that the U.S. Federal Reserve will cut interest rates on Wednesday.
Also, why you should watch out for the Beyond Meat Inc. (NASDAQ: BYND) earnings report today. Details further down.
Here are the numbers from Friday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now, here's a closer look at today's Money Morning insight, the most important market events, and stocks to watch.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Monday
- Investors await earnings reports from some big names on Monday. But the bigger story this week centers on the Federal Reserve's meeting on monetary policy. Markets anticipate the U.S. central bank will cut interest rates for the first time in 10 years. However, several Fed members have openly questioned the logic of a rate cut of up to 50 basis points due to recent positive economic data. The U.S. has just seen a lowering unemployment rate, high GDP, and the 49-year low rate of Americans seeking unemployment benefits.
- Another day, another trade dispute. This time, U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened new tariffs on French wine. The White House made the suggestion after France slapped a digital tax on U.S. technology companies. "I've always said American wine is better than French wine!" Trump tweeted at the conclusion of the threat. Trump said over the weekend that he may impose the tax ahead of the G-7 summit in August.
- Oil prices are flat this morning as investors try to balance supply and demand factors across the globe. Stronger U.S. economic data and concerns about tanker safety in the Strait of Hormuz are providing a boost to crude prices. The support comes after last week's 6% slump in crude oil prices. That said, investors remain concerned about global crude demand and weak economic outlook across Europe and Asia. This week, you should pay close attention to Britain's continued effort securing support from neighboring European nations and address maritime safety in the Middle East.
Stocks to Watch Today: BYND, DIS, DB
- Beyond Meat Inc. (NASDAQ: BYND) leads another busy day of earnings reports. Since launching its IPO at $25 per share in May, shares have surged to $234.90 each, roughly nine times the value of its debut. Shares jumped more than 40% after beating first-quarter earnings in June.
- Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) is on a roll in 2019. The company's set a record for its highest-grossing year at the box office... and there are five months left in the year. The firm has brought in a record $767 billion so far this year, thanks to strong ticket sales for films like Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Endgame." So far this year, Disney has produced three films generating more than $1 billion at the box office.
- Deutsche Bank AG (NYSE: DB) announced over the weekend that its net exposure to global derivatives is roughly $22.3 trillion. The bank plans to auction off assets in order to limit its exposure to the global financial system. This will be part of a broader plan to restructure the organization, shed 18,000 jobs, and attempt to bring the firm back to profitability. Two weeks ago, we warned about Deutsche Bank's worrisome balance sheet. Here's what you need to know moving forward.
- Look for additional earnings reports from NXP Semiconductors NV (NASDAQ: NXPI), Transocean Ltd. (NYSE: RIG), Illumina Inc. (NASDAQ: ILMN), and Texas Roadhouse Inc. (NASDAQ: TXRH).
Famous Angel Investor Shares His "1,000x Formula" for Finding Unicorn Startups
Neil Patel is one of the most successful angel investors on the planet.
Today, he's walking everyone through his "1,000x formula" for finding the most successful startup investments - the ones with unicorn potential.
With this formula at your disposal... investing in startups is about to get a whole lot easier. (In fact, you can act now with as little as $50.)