Martin Hutchinson, Author at Money Morning - We Make Investing Profitable
Martin Hutchinson has a reputation for being bearish at exactly the right time.
Slate magazine singled him out - above even famed economist Nouriel Roubini - as the financier who most accurately predicted how bad the 2009 bear market would turn out to be. In June 2008 - at a time when the Dow was above 12,000, and most folks were calling for it to go higher - Martin predicted the index could nosedive all the way to 7,800 (it actually spun down to 6,600).
Before grabbing recognition for his gutsy timing, Martin worked nearly 30 years as an investment banker, with extensive experience in both New York and London. He's served as a senior vice president and head of derivatives for Creditanstalt-Bankverein, director of the Spanish private firm Gestion Integral de Negocios, and advisor to the Korean conglomerate Sunkyong Corp. But it was Martin's work in Bulgaria, Croatia, and Macedonia that solidified his reputation as a true "hands-on" expert on the developing economies. As the U.S. Treasury advisor to Croatia, he helped the country establish its own T-bill program in the 1990s, launch its first government bond issue, and start a forward currency market.
Martin is the author of several books. He also served as the business and economics editor at United Press International during the early 2000s, where he jumpstarted the financial-news operation of that historic wire service.
He earned his undergraduate degree in mathematics from Cambridge University, and an MBA from Harvard University. He lives outside of Poughkeepsie, N.Y, with his wife, Anna.
Martin is our Global Investing Specialist. He serves as editor of the Permanent Wealth Investor, where he focuses on "Alpha Bulldog" stocks that pay high, reliable dividends. In his newest advisory, the Merchant Banker Alert, Martin uncovers the fastest-growing companies in the fastest-growing economies and brings those ideas back home to you.
Martin'S LATEST HEADLINES
- The Five Ways to Profit From the Pending Gold Bubble
- The One Russian Emerging Market With the Most Profit Promise
- The Three Investments to Avoid and the One Stock to Buy to Profit from the Lousy Mortgage Market
- Three Ways to Profit From Australia's Strong Dollar and Massive Natural Resource Reserves
- Thirsty for Profits? Ten Ways to Play the Worldwide Beer Market
- When Corruption is Low, Your Profits are High
- Japan's Politics Shouldn't Derail Its Economy: Profiting from the New Prime Minister
- With Oil, Uranium and Gold, There’s Nothing Crazy About This Canadian Loonie Tune
- Will This Bernanke's Put Force us to Buy Real Ones?
- How to Play Today's FOMC Meeting