Start the conversation
The Dow Jones was pushing lower on news that U.S. President Donald Trump wants additional tariffs on Chinese goods.
It could be an additional $200 billion.
Here are the numbers from Thursday morning for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Pre-market Numbers||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now here's a closer look at today's most important market events and stocks, plus Thursday's economic calendar.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Thursday
- On Wednesday, the U.S. Federal Reserve decided not to raise interest rates. The bank hinted it is on pace to raise interest rates two more times in 2018. This was the first meeting among U.S. central bankers since President Trump criticized the Fed on monetary policy.
Want to Make Money? Here's how to make over $100,000 starting with a small amount of money… rolling stocks over and over again. Click here for more about this proven investing method…
- Shares of Tesla Inc. (Nasdaq: TSLA) rallied more than 9.3% Thursday morning after the auto company reported earnings yesterday afternoon. Even though Tesla reported its largest quarterly loss in its history, CEO Elon Musk said that the company was on pace to report profitable third and fourth quarters. The firm reported an earnings per share loss of -$3.06 on $4 billion in revenue. Analysts projected an average loss of -$2.92 on top of $3.92 billion in revenue.
Money Morning Insight of the Day
Earnings season is well underway.
And if you're looking to make real money, it's not too late to get started. Money Morning Quantitative Specialist Chris Johnson argues the markets are at a tipping point.
And with just a few smart plays in today's classic stock picker's market, you can pull in triple-digit gains with just a small investment.
Stocks to Watch Today: SBUX, BABA, DWDP
- Starbucks Corp. (Nasdaq: SBUX) is on the move. The coffee giant has announced that it will launch a trial project in China with Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. (NYSE: BABA) to test the delivery of coffee.
- Shares of DowDuPont Inc. (NYSE: DWDP) pushed higher after the firm topped both earnings and revenue expectations before the bell. The firm also said that its merger of Dow and DuPont has produced cost savings of roughly $900 million.
- Look for additional earnings reports from GoPro Inc. (Nasdaq: GPRO), Activision Blizzard Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), Tableau Software Inc. (NYSE: DATA), Yum! Brands Inc. (NYSE: YUM), Shake Shack Inc. (NYSE: SHAK), and MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM).