The Dow Jones Industrial Average is down on Trump trade war tweets again.
As U.S. and China officials draw ever-nearer to their trade deadline, the president's Twitter powers have become more than a negotiation tactic. This morning, he let the world know that 25% tariffs on China are in effect. You can read the quote below.
Other items moving the Dow Jones today: Amazon just revealed a new spaceship. Read further for details.
Here are the numbers from Thursday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now, here's a closer look at today's Money Morning insight, the most important market events, and stocks to watch.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Friday
- On the day U.S. and China officials had hoped to close in on a deal, U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted, "There is absolutely no need to rush - as tariffs are now being paid to the United States by China of 25% on 250 billion worth of goods & products." Markets were down earlier this week after the president had threatened the tariffs, but many speculated it could have been a bluff.
- Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) founder Jeff Bezos is making headlines Friday after revealing a new lunar lander designed to bring astronauts to the moon. This is new territory for Amazon, as the extent of their vehicles has reached no further than drones until now. But Bezos claims the moon is an ideal place to engage in manufacturing and that astronauts will land there with his technology by 2024.
- And speaking of the future, there's a $12 trillion industry on the rise. It has to do with those little boxes going up all over town. Haven't seen them? Look around next time you're out, and you might spot the beginnings of the 5G revolution. These are called "M-Boxes", and they're what's going to connect the world in the coming years. See how you can get a cut of that $12 trillion right here.
Stocks to Watch Today:
- Uber (NYSE: UBER) has priced its IPO after months of speculation. The ride-sharing giant is preparing to offer its stock at $45 per share. That figure is at the low end of its stated range, but it still creates a market valuation of roughly $82.4 billion. The firm had reportedly been seeking a valuation around $120 billion, according to its filing last month. The IPO follows its competitor Lyft Inc. (NASDAQ: LYFT), which has seen its shares plunge since going public in late March.
5G Is Coming: The tech breakthrough of the century could rest on this $6 stock - get all the details here.
- Shares of Symantec Corp. (NASDAQ: SYMC) plunged more than 12% Thursday after the company announced that its CEO and president, Greg Clark, has resigned. The news came at the same time that the software security giant announced its forward guidance, which came in below analysts' expectations. The company had reported fourth-quarter earnings per share that was in line with Wall Street expectations. However, the firm fell just short of analysts' revenue forecasts.
- Look for other earnings reports from Drive Shack Inc. (NYSE: DS), Enbridge Inc. (NYSE: ENB), JD.Com Inc. (NASDAQ: JD), Marriott International Inc. (NYSE: MAR), and Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB).
The $12 Trillion 5G Revolution Is Here!
It's the greatest breakthrough in history. It can usher in an incredible new world, potentially minting millionaires by the bucketload!
And one $6 company - that no one is talking about - could skyrocket in 2019.
Here's how you could make 10 times your money from this red-hot phenomenon.
Follow Money Morning on Facebook and Twitter.
About the Author
Garrett Baldwin is a globally recognized research economist, financial writer, consultant, and political risk analyst with decades of trading experience and degrees in economics, cybersecurity, and business from Johns Hopkins, Purdue, Indiana University, and Northwestern.
Or to contact Money Morning Customer Service, click here.