Start the conversation
The Dow Jones today will pop up to 150 points thanks to stronger-than-expected earnings from UnitedHealth Group Inc. (NYSE: UNH). The health insurance giant topped earnings and revenue expectations and hiked its full-year guidance.
More below on how this will affect the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and other earnings reports you don't want to miss.
Here are the numbers from Monday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now, here's a closer look at today's Money Morning insight, the most important market events, and stocks to watch.
The Top Stock Market Stories for Tuesday
- Today, investors will watch earnings season kick into high gear. A busy day of reports started today with a solid one from UnitedHealth Group Inc. (NYSE: UNH). The health insurance giant's stock could jump up to 3% after topping Wall Street expectations, while Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) could gain another 2% thanks to a solid report.
- The U.S. Federal Reserve could hold interest rates in place until late 2020, according to one prominent member of the central bank. On Monday, Chicago Fed President Charles Evans said that the Fed can hold off on raising rates until around the election. Evans said that holding off will help "support the inflation outlook."
- Keep a close eye on Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL), whose shares are dancing with the $200 level. With Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) set to report earnings, Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) launching its own streaming service, and Hulu losing a major investor, all eyes are on Tim Cook's company and its plans to enter the highly competitive content wars. Last week, AAPL stock received a price target upgrade from Wedbush, $215 to $225 per share. But if you've been following us, you'd know that $225 is our long-term outlook for one of the world's top companies.
Stocks to Watch Today: NFLX, DIS, CMCSA, T, CSX
- Earnings season is in full swing, and investors will keep an eye out later for Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX). The global streaming giant reports earnings today. Prior to its earnings report, Deutsche Bank AG (NYSE: DB) upgraded its stance from a "Hold" to a "Buy" and expects stronger subscriber growth on top of higher monthly subscription costs. The German bank set a price target of $400 per share. NFLX stock is up 30% so far this year, but the stock faces increasing competition from a variety of challengers.
Brace Yourself: The 5G revolution is unleashing your next potential TRILLION-DOLLAR opportunity – go here now.
- A lot of chatter has built up around Walt Disney Co.'s (NYSE: DIS) streaming service set to launch later this year. But not too many people know that Disney is now the majority owner of Hulu. According to reports, AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) sold its stake in Hulu for $1.43 billion, bringing the streaming firm's valuation to $15 billion. The sale leaves Comcast Corp. (NASDAQ: CMCSA) and Disney as the primary owners, with the latter holding a 60% stake.
- The real bellwether today will be a report from CSX Corp. (NYSE: CSX). The U.S. railway giant will announce its earnings, and investors are curious about how the company has fared with fewer coal shipments and concerns about a slowing economy.
- Look for earnings reports from Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC), BlackRock Inc. (NYSE: BLK), Comerica Inc. (NYSE: CMA), CSX Corp. (NYSE: CSX), Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ), United Continental Holdings Inc. (NYSE: UAL).
Brace Yourself: The 5G Revolution Is Unleashing Your Next TRILLION-DOLLAR Opportunity
In my three decades tracking the world's biggest technological breakthroughs, I've never seen anything as huge as this.
This $6 company could be set to DOMINATE a $12 TRILLION market – and when that happens, you could be celebrating with 10 times your money.
About the Author
Garrett Baldwin is a truly self-made, 38-year-old Mensa millionaire with four degrees from the nation's top universities: Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Purdue, and Indiana University. His biggest accomplishment, however, is his Quantum Loop invention - a trading technology that completely changed his life. Thanks to his unique career path in "competitive intelligence," Garret was inspired by a radar system used by the military to develop his Quantum Loop. It is the first known innovation that can both time the market and an individual stock simultaneously. After eight years of rigorous backtesting and countless successful trades, the rest is history. He's now a millionaire living in one of the richest ZIP Codes in America. Garrett's also a best-selling author, inspiring thousands of people to pursue and achieve their own financial goals. When Garrett isn't busy trading and writing, he's lounging with his wife and child on the beach outside his home in Naples - or globetrotting as inspiration for his next investing invention.