Start the conversation
For May 13, 2015, here's how the stock market did today, earnings reports, the top stock market news, and stocks to watch based on today's market moves…
How Did the Stock Market Do Today?
Dow: 18,060.49, -7.74, -0.04%
S&P 500: 2,098.48, -0.64, -0.03%
Nasdaq: 4,981.69, +5.50, +0.11%
The DJIA Index erased early gains to end today's session down 7 points on news that retail sales slumped in April, fueling new concerns that second-quarter growth may not rebound as projected by economists.
Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said markets are facing another "taper tantrum" when the central bank increases interest rates in the near future.
Top Stock Market News Today
- Metals Rally: Gold and silver rallied this afternoon. By 3:30 pm, gold prices had jumped 1.8% to break through the $1,200 ceiling. Gold prices are now their highest in a month as investors look for some protection against weaker than expected economic data. Silver prices also got a boost today. The white metal jumped beyond $17 per ounce, rising 3.5% on the day.
- Retail Rout: The U.S. Commerce Department said Wednesday that U.S. retail sales were flat in April. Americans reduced spending on big-ticket purchases such as automobiles. Economists' consensus estimates had called for an increase of 0.2% increase. Macy's Inc. (NYSE: M) slipped 2.45%, while Ralph Lauren Corp. (NYSE: RL) fell 3% on weak earnings reports and concerns about sector-wide sales. Both companies blamed weather in the first quarter, a stronger U.S. dollar, and the West Coast port shutdown that affected retailers' supply chains.
- On Tap Thursday: Tomorrow, investors will keep an eye on weekly jobless claims, an update on the Producer Price Index (PPI), and a number of earnings reports. Companies reporting quarterly earnings include Teekay Corp. (NYSE: TK), Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC), Nordstrom Inc. (NYSE: JWN), Kohl's Corp. (NYSE: KSS), and SINA Corp. (Nasdaq: SINA).
Stocks to Watch: AAPL, DD, WMB, MSFT, OI
- Stocks to Watch No. 1, AAPL: Shares of Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) were up marginally this afternoon on news that the company has begun shipments of the Apple Watch and that CEO Tim Cook is working quickly to partner with Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. (NYSE: BABA) to introduce Apple Pay to China.
- Stocks to Watch No. 2, DD: Shares of Dupont Co. (NYSE: DD) slumped 7.37% on news that the company has won a proxy battle against Trian Fund Management and activist investor Nelson Peltz. Shareholders rejected the hedge fund's nominations to Dupont's corporate board, which may have sought a breakup of the iconic American chemical company into two publicly traded firms to unlock shareholder value.
- Stocks to Watch No. 3, WMB: Shares of pipeline company Williams Partners LP (NYSE: WPZ) jumped 22.7% after Williams Companies Inc. (NYSE: WMB) said it would purchase its affiliate for roughly $13.8 billion. The deal, which sent shares of WMB up more than 6%, will provide a tax benefit to Williams Companies.
- Stocks to Watch No. 4, FB: Shares of Facebook Inc. (Nasdaq: FB) were up 1.27% on news that the company has unveiled Instant Articles, a new feature that delivers direct news content to its users. The company is working with nine launch partners: The New York Times (NYSE: NYT), National Geographic, BuzzFeed, NBC (Nasdaq: CMCSA), The Atlantic, The Guardian, BBC News, Spiegel, and Bild.
- Stocks to Watch No. 5, MSFT: Shares of Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) gained 0.58% on news that Deutsche Bank AG (USA) (NYSE: DB) upgraded the company from "Hold" to "Buy." Where is this stock going now? Money Morning Capital Wave Strategist Shah Gilani sat down with FOX Business to discuss the future of Microsoft stock. Watch it here.
- Stocks to Watch No. 6, OI: Shares of Owens-Illinois Inc. (NYSE: OI) jumped 9.21% on news that the company plans to purchase Vitro's food and beverage glass container division in an all-cash deal worth $2.15 billion. Shares of Mexican-based Vitro SA Mexico (OTCMKTS: VITOF) surged 25% on the day. Owens-Illinois is the world's largest maker of bottles for beer, wine, and liquor.