Start the conversation
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 49 points pre-market hours as markets digested the latest round of tariffs on Chinese products. Markets are largely relieved that the White House's latest round of tariffs is limited to a 10% markup on imports rather than the 25% rate floated earlier this month.
China is expected to retaliate with a range of aggressive trade policies. U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Tuesday morning that the nation is "out of bullets" to fight back. Expect this statement to prompt significant reaction by both nations on Tuesday.
Here are the numbers from Monday for the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq:
|Index||Previous Close||Point Change||Percentage Change|
Now here's a closer look at today's Money Morning insight, the most important market events, and stocks to watch.
How to Profit off This $11.1 Billion Money Pool: By following a few simple steps, one IRS directive could help set you up to receive checks of up to $1,795 every single month thanks to a genius investment. Learn more…
The Top Stock Market Stories for Tuesday
- Just how bad could these trade tensions become between the United States and China? Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. (NYSE: BABA) Chair Jack Ma said this morning that these frictions could last for two decades. During an investor conference, Ma predicted that U.S. President Donald Trump's latest round of tariffs will impact Chinese companies immediately and said he expects a lot of production to shift out of the country to avoid these tariffs. Ma said that new trade rules would be necessary in order to avoid a long, extended battle between the two nations.
- Investors are already turning their attention to next week's meeting among officials at the U.S. Federal Reserve. The markets fully expect that the Fed will raise interest rates again this month. That decision would drive up the price of borrowing on anything from mortgages to vehicle loans, from credit card interest rates to variable loans. But what does it mean for gold prices? It will create a fabulous buying opportunity.
Money Morning Insight of the Day
If you're reading this… you might already be rich. The question, of course, is how can you stay rich and build life-changing wealth.
The answer is simple. You stop listening to the talking heads in the press, and you start buying rock-solid companies that will provide strong income and help you protect your nest egg.
Money Morning Special Situation Strategist Tim Melvin provides his latest list of stocks that will help you get rich… and stay rich. Check them out right here.
Stocks to Watch Today: V, MA, AAPL, GOOGL
- Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) and Mastercard Inc. (NYSE: MA) are under the microscope this morning. Both payment processing giants have signed a settlement agreement over a merchant lawsuit filed back in 2005, but originally settled in 2012 over merchant swiping fees. Visa will pay an additional $600 million to the original settlement. Mastercard will pay an additional $108 million.
- Although President Trump plans to hit China with new tariffs, at least one company won't face the full cost: Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL). According to reports, the Apple Watch is among a list of consumer tech gadgets that will receive exemptions from the latest round of tariffs on imports.
- Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) announced it will install its Android operating system into automobiles manufactured by Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Renault. The operating system – set for distribution in 2021 – will include Google Maps, Google Assistant, and Google Play. The three manufacturers combined sold 10.6 million vehicles in 2017.
- Look for earnings reports from AutoZone Inc. (NYSE: AZO), General Mills Inc. (NYSE: GIS), Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Inc. (NASDAQ: CBRL), and Apogee Enterprises Inc. (NASDAQ: APOG).
About the Author
Garrett Baldwin is a truly self-made, 38-year-old Mensa millionaire with four degrees from the nation's top universities: Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Purdue, and Indiana University. His biggest accomplishment, however, is his Quantum Loop invention - a trading technology that completely changed his life. Thanks to his unique career path in "competitive intelligence," Garret was inspired by a radar system used by the military to develop his Quantum Loop. It is the first known innovation that can both time the market and an individual stock simultaneously. After eight years of rigorous backtesting and countless successful trades, the rest is history. He's now a millionaire living in one of the richest ZIP Codes in America. Garrett's also a best-selling author, inspiring thousands of people to pursue and achieve their own financial goals. When Garrett isn't busy trading and writing, he's lounging with his wife and child on the beach outside his home in Naples - or globetrotting as inspiration for his next investing invention.