Start the conversation
For Feb. 1, 2015, here's the top stock market news and stocks to watch…
Stock Futures Today
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average for today (Monday) forecasted a 100-point decline after oil prices slipped again and China reported that its manufacturing sector contracted at its fastest pace since 2012.
On Friday, the Dow gained more than 396 points following a surprise decision by the Bank of Japan to adopt a negative-interest-rate policy. The Volatility S&P 500 (IndexCBOE: VIX) – Wall Street's fear gauge – slipped 9.4%.
Top News in the Stock Market Today
- The Stock Market Today: On Monday, Federal Reserve Vice Chair Stanley Fischer will give a speech on economic policy. Keep an eye out for a report on Personal Income and Outlays and the ISM Manufacturing Index.
- Saudi Oil Saviors: Crude oil prices fell as traders remain concerned over the slowing Chinese economy. OPEC is currently denying that it plans to host an emergency meeting to discuss oil prices. This erases hope that Russia and Saudi Arabia are planning to lead a coalition that will ensure a cut to global production. WTI crude oil slipped 3.5% to hit $32.42 per barrel. Meanwhile, Brent crude dipped 2.5% to hit $35.08 per barrel.
The Iowa Caucus is today. Here's what you need to know before this major political event takes place…
Earnings Outlook: GOOGL, GOOG, HAIN, SOHU, ATW, AET
- Earnings Report No. 1, GOOGL: After the bell, Alphabet Inc. (Nasdaq: GOOGL, GOOG) will report 2015 Q4 earnings. The technology giant is expected to report earnings per share (EPS) of $8.17 on top of $16.86 billion in revenue.
- Earnings Report No. 2, MAT: Shares of Mattel Inc. (Nasdaq: MAT) will be in focus after the closing bell on Monday. The toy manufacturer is expected to report EPS of $0.60 on top of $1.92 billion in revenue.
- Earnings Report No. 3, AET: Shares of Aetna Inc. (NYSE: AET) were on the rise this morning after the company reported a strong earnings report. The major health insurance firm reported an adjusted EPS of $1.37, which beat market expectations. The firm also cited strong revenue numbers due to improved membership figures and margins in its Medicare business. Aetna reported $320.8 million in net income. However, the firm did issue a warning about its 2016 outlook and offered weaker-than-expected forward guidance.
Stocks to Watch: STR, D, TWTR, CMG
- Stocks to Watch No. 1, STR: Shares of natural gas producer Questar Corp. (NYSE: STR) climbed more than 20% this morning on news that the firm will be purchased by Dominion Resources Inc. (NYSE: D) for roughly $4.4 billion.
- Stocks to Watch No. 2, TWTR: Shares of Twitter Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) were up more than 7% on news that tech investor Marc Andreessen and Silver Lake Partners have considered a deal to purchase the company. A San Francisco-based tech blog called The Information suggested that the angel investor was interested in the firm, which has seen its stock decline by more than 75% over the last year. Twitter is set to report earnings next week.
- Stocks to Watch No. 3, CMG: Shares of Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) are on the rise thanks to some very good news for the casual dining giant. As soon as this afternoon, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to announce that the firm's E. coli outbreak is officially over.
Today's U.S. Economic Calendar (all times EST)
- Personal Income and Outlays at 8:30 a.m.
- Gallup US Consumer Spending Measure at 8:30 a.m.
- PMI Manufacturing Index at 9:45 a.m.
- ISM Manufacturing Index at 10 a.m.
- Construction Spending at 10 a.m.
- 4-Week Bill Announcement at 11 a.m.
- 3-Month Bill Auction at 11:30 a.m.
- 6-Month Bill Auction at 11:30 a.m.
- Fed Vice Chair Stanley Fischer speaks at 1 p.m.
What Investors Must Know This Week
- Where We'll Find Our Biggest Profits This Year
- What a Chinese Stock Market Crash Means for Investors
- Your "Buy List" to Profit from Volatility in 2016